Monday 19 January 2015

INTERVIEW WITH SHRADDHA SAHI- BY NAINIKA GAUTAM



The written word has been the centre of Shraddha’s existence for as long as she can remember. She grew up on a steady diet of British writers; first the saccharine sweet Enid Blyton, then the dry wit and action sequences of Alistair Maclean and later the real, dangerous and rarely happily ever after imagery of Dick Francis. Most people know her as an ophthalmologist, but the ‘I’ demands that she write. 

She lives in Pune, Maharashtra but her heart roams the mustard fields of Punjab. Her son chatters away in Marathi but she thinks in British English! Most of her work is introspection set in fiction. She finds herself attracted to stories about women – strong ones, funny ones and kickass women. So naturally she writes about them too. Her words are laced with self deprecating humor and tend to stay with you long after you’ve shut the book. 

She can be contacted at 



Please tell us something about yourself? 

Hi! I’m an ophthalmologist based in Pune. I’ve been writing ever since I can remember. I’m a voracious reader and often finish a book a day. My cerebral cortex is a complicated place, what with the Punjabi genes, Marathi culture and British influences via the reading! I find myself drawn to romance and thrillers. My first published book was a collection of poems titled F.I.S.T – an outpouring of angst, longing and dreams. I have also written a novel A Doctor in the House which is a love story with a medical background. Both books are available online. 

What would you call the most striking feature of your write-ups? 
I write about love, disappointment, expectations and hope. My humor is a bit dry and subtle, what you would call tongue in cheek! 


Why did you choose to be a writer? 

Writing chose me! I have specialized in Glaucoma after doing Ophthalmology, but even while working, I find my mind weaving stories around the patient sitting across me. Doctors are trained to observe and listen and that’s good practice for writing. I find I can make sense of my thoughts only when I put them on paper. Till then, nothing’s real. 


What role does the cover of book plays according to you?

The most important part of the book is the cover. If that is not appealing, no one is going to pick up the book. A colorful image in keeping with the theme of the book goes a long way in pushing the person browsing in the aisle or online towards checkout! 


Do you have a specific writing style?

I find myself writing more about feelings, how the character thinks and how he/ she sorts out his/her life in the mind first. I go for gutsy, strong female characters that don’t conform to the norms of society. 

Tell us something about your story in “Moonlit Matinee 3”. 
Letters from Ladakh is my story in the anthology. It’s a humorous look at arranged marriage – at the dreams and desires in the girl’s mind when she sets out on the journey of her life, literally and metaphorically. Her honeymoon is unexpected in many ways and she experiences the reality behind the rose tinted glasses. 


Please tell us something about lead characters of your story. 

The heroine of the story is a strong girl with set ideas of how her life is going to be. She is heavily influenced by friends, Hindi movies and Mills and Boons ideas of romance. The guy is in the background of the story, but he’s a typical messy, rough around the edges male who she’s going to polish! 

Do you believe that in order to beautiful romantic love story one needs to live that kind of life? 
If you’re living a beautiful, romantic life – you’re going to be a satisfied person and that makes for boredom! Contentment makes you lazy. When you have nearly everything, you focus on what’s missing and the chase is what keeps you going. You’ll find that old spinsters write the most passionate romances! 


What is the basic motive behind your story? 

I wanted to write about how sometimes we have unrealistic expectations from people and places. It’s not where you travel to that makes you happy as much as the journey and who you’re going with. Your outlook colors what you see and that’s a very powerful realization. 


How did you come up with the plot of your story? 

I've been to Ladakh and it was thrilling, scary and exhilarating place. It challenges you as a person and as a couple when you find yourself in difficult situations. It set me thinking how a girl, newly married to a relative stranger would react. 


How is experience working with Gargi Publishers?

Gargi Publishers have been very kind and encouraging. They had a clear idea about their concept and presentation of this whole book. They have opened up a new world of writers that I have become friends with and that’s rare nowadays. Gargi has a genuine love for the written word and novel ideas for marketing. When you’re focused on creativity and not money, it shows. I would like to thank Pulkit and his wonderful team for my fabulous experience here. 


What would you like to say to our readers? 

A writer cannot exist unless there’s someone to read his work. Books are a beautiful way to learn, to communicate and to pass things on to the future generations. Enjoy this book, recommend it to everyone you know and do let us know what you liked or didn’t!


*Do order your copy of "The Notebook of Romance today from http://www.flipkart.com/notebook-romance-english/p/itme3g5hxwb3fztc *

1 comment: