Tuesday 6 January 2015

Interview with Leepi Agrawal - By Nainika Gautam


It is said that books are a person's best friend, so Leepi Agrawal started spending her time with this special friend who then led her to write stories and poems at an early age. The Times of India gave wing to her writing by publishing her works in their esteemed newspaper.

Leepi is an "Ahmadavadi Chokri" filled with zest and always strives to mark her work with perfection. She is a final year student and a gold medalist for her academic excellence in Masters of Computer Applications at Indus University, Ahmedabad. She has won the TechFest in April 2014 at college and state level. As writing is her passion, she loves to roam in the "gallis of Ahmedabad" so that she can explore more about her birthplace through writings. Apart from the previous successes of her short-stories, now even one of her poems has been acclaimed on an international platform.

She is quite obsessed with writing, wires and machines and subsequently her obsession has turned into her passion and profession.

Buy her book here: Homeshop18 (and don't forget to drop your reviews)

Here we get to know her a little more closely:


Nainika: Okay Leepi, Define yourself..

Leepi: Well, my name Leepi defines myself. Leepi means script which is what I am. Being a writer I am a great observer too, I observe the things very carefully which helps me a lot to pen down stories of all genres. I consider myself as a healer, because I can make people to speak out their heart and share their problems with me.

Nainika: According to you what impact does books and reading has on society?

Leepi: Yes, I do think books have the great impact on society. The more you read, the more you imagine, and imagination will lead you to think, and this is how literacy can be taken into consideration. I don’t think only engineering books will make you literate, unless and until you are forced to imagine and think you are not literate and this imagination can come only if reading is carried out, by reading novels and blogs no matter whatever genre you are interested to read.

Nainika: How do you see success in literary world?

Leepi: Umm, for me success in literary world is not getting some fame awards. For me my success is my readers, if I am succeeded to convey my story to the people I am successful, if I can make my readers laugh on some of the dialogue I am a successful writer, if I am able to make my readers emotional, that means my stories have reached their hearts, my readers are my real success. I always work or strive on quality writing, my writings never measured word counts or pages, it always measured the feelings I had while writing, which brings a satisfaction to me, and that’s a big success to me.

Nainika: Who has been your inspiration throughout this journey of yours?
  
Leepi: If I talk about inspiration, then the very first name I would love to take is the director of my school, Shri Ivan Reubens, because he was the one who inspired me to write, I still remember the day it was 24th August 2007 when our CR came to the class asking us to submit the articles for Times of India, that time coming into newspaper was something I was fascinate about, and then I walked downstairs and talked with him, I asked him to guide me what to submit, and from their I took my first step into the world of writings, and then my parents were always there to support me.

Nainika: Do you think it is necessary to read in order to write?
  
Leepi: Good question, many people think that in order to write, it’s important to read, and let me clear out this here. The more you read, the more you will get into the world of imagination, as I have said earlier, but somewhere if you wish to write then I personally suggest not to read, because it will kill your own imagination. Reading books will make you imagine the way it will guide you, and finally you too would get into that line and you will pen down the same the way you have read.

To be very frank I am not an avid reader, I hate reading, till date I have read only two books, that is the Crumpled Voice and The Journey to Remember, and few short stories The Rosemary Letters and the Burnt letters, and few more that’s it. Also people do ask that you should have a good command over the language and you must have a good vocabulary, but I think it’s not necessary because people understand simple English, we write to convey our message so keeping the language simple is the best mode to connect to maximum readers.
  
Nainika: If you are asked to define your book, 'Hey Dad! Meet My Mom' in just one line, what would you say?

Leepi: Hey Dad Meet My Mom is the journey of past to present where future comes to make the perfect moment.

Nainika: You have come up with a unique plot. How did you come up with it?
  
Leepi: Actually, I never dreamed about HDM3, it was when summer vacations were going , I was spending time on facebook, suddenly a message popped up, and it was Sandeep Sharma, and heights was he said he could not find anyone online, and he was getting bored, so he thought to message me. I was like oh my god this guy is a fool or what no hi how are you, directly he is putting up the reason for chatting with me. I ignored and did replied him, I knew him before as we shared the same platform in one of the anthology. He asked what do I write and what are my plans about writing my own book. He was already done with the few chapters of HDM3, he told me the plot, but I didn’t felt it would work out, so I told him some concepts which can be carried out in the same plot and this is how we started the book together. He was good in place where he has to work with Puneet and Rishi, rest I portray the character of bold and beautiful Roshni.
  
Nainika: There is movie which is based on similar plot (Action replay, if you remember). Does this has any role played in your book?

Leepi: Well, I did hear that comment that HDM3 plot matched the movie called Action Replay. I disagree, take any film hero is going to meet heroine does that mean that every film has the same story?

Here our title is Hey Dad Meet My Mom is all about meeting and finding Rishi’s mom, but that doesn’t mean that Puneet did also tried the time machine, he was living in past, this is all a different story, and people are there to make talks and I do ignore because no one can talk unless and until they have read it.

Nainika: Which character of your book is your favorite?

Leepi: Every character is close to my heart, but specially I love Rosnhi, because that character has been defined by me, when I was writing about Roshni, I was feeling that I am writing my own story. I love to write diaries, and letters and HDM3, is a combination of diary, letters, poems and text messages.

Nainika: What do you expect from your book?

Leepi: This book is full of expectations, I have learnt many things and in return I do expect the returns of my hard work. Let’s hope for the best, I am looking this book to turn out as a movie soon, what else I can expect.
  
Nainika: Tell us something about your upcoming projects 

Leepi: Well we are planning a sequel of HDM3, if it is a great success, also I am starting a book specially for the age group of 10-15 years, because I do feel that students should cultivate the habit of reading which will help them to imagine new things and also help them to understand the things better, right from the early age. I had enough on love stories, poems, social issues and thrillers, now I want to write something for children.

Nainika: Which is your favorite genre, the genre which you feel best to write?

Leepi: Firstly I don’t limit myself to any particular genre. If writing is your passion, then you can write on all types of genre. Still if you want to know what I am comfortable at, then, I do love to pen down nature, any genre related to nature and social issues, I love to write. I am a social worker, so my aim always to create awareness among youth through the quill.

Nainika: What do you think is most challenging part of your writing?

Leepi: If I specifically talk about HDM3, then portraying about Roshni was most challenging for me, because I have to write her life in form of a diary, it took me almost a month to categorize her life into a model, into a social worker, as a mother, as a friend who hide her love for Puneet, then yes most importantly Roshni as a WOMAN, rather being a girl, so it was quite challenging.

Nainika: What specific features of Gargi Publisher encouraged you to work with them?

Leepi: As I said earlier, I am not an avid reader, but Crumpled voices was the book which touched my strings, and that moment I decided, actually me and Sandeep decided to hand over our script to Gargi Publisher. Though it was a self publishing, I am proud because they charge for their work and plus they always think best for their writers.

Nainika: Being an Author or being an engineer... Which one you find to be more difficult and what do you enjoy the most?

Leepi: I am an Author by passion and an engineer by Profession. Both of them is my life, if I can’t live without writing, then on the other end I can’t live without wires and computers too. Writing gives me happiness and engineering gives me satisfaction, that atleast my 16 years are not wasted just by going to school and colleges. So I enjoy both being an author cum engineer.

Nainika: Do you believe that a write up should necessarily contain any message?

Leepi: Yes, every write up should have a meaningful message at the end, if there s no message it’s useless to write. HDM3 too had a message. Our dream was to be an author, and finally we are an author. Dream it, do it, get it which is all Hdm3 is about. Puneet did dreamt something in his life, he achieved. The character of Roshni gave the message to every girl that now when the world has become practical, then you too should get practical, learn to ignore things. Don’t let you get affected by anything, because Life begins where fear ends - OSHO.

Nainika: Would you like to give any message to our readers?

Leepi: Well, firstly Compliments of the season to every reader. I wish all your dreams come true with 2015. Lastly don’t limit yourself to anything when it comes to an art. Try exploring yourself in different ways, unless and until you won’t explore yourself your talent won’t be recognized. If people say that being an engineer you can’t be an artist whether it’s drawing, writing, singing or anything. They will say you that can’t travel into the two boats at the same time, tell them you can travel, and ask them have they ever tried it. At least, me and Sandeep travelled on two different boats at the same time and that both is of engineering and literature.

Nainika: What expectations do you have from your book? Do you feel it’s strong enough to bring changes in society?

Leepi: Yes... Via Delhi is strong enough to bring about a change in the society. I want the youth of my country to follow and live their dreams without bothering about what the society would have to say about it. The Indian Society has killed more dreams than anyone ever could.  I have seen love stories getting murdered in the name of society; damn I was a victim too. I have seen ambitions getting killed in the name of the society. I want the youth of my country to be the change ... In fact I want everyone to be the change. Stand up for what you feel is right without bothering about what your relatives and neighbours would have to say. Have you ever seen a dog with a straight tail? Our society is just like that tail. Chop the tail off ... Do what gives you happiness rather that bothering about the char log of our society. I have decided to be the change ... I will never let the society bother me from here on ... I want everyone to be that change.  Don’t do it for me or for anyone else... Do it for yourself.

“Don’t be a victim of the society”

Nainika: What features of Gargi publishers made you keen to work with them?

Leepi: First of all I would like to thank Pulkit Bhaijaan and his entire team for making me a part of the Gargi family which is one of India’s fastest growing publication houses.  These guys are professional and hardworking right from the word go. I have been a marketing student myself and the way these guys market their books is commendable. Creative strategies ... Out of the box thinking ... And the best part if the rapport that I share with the entire team of Gargi is completely awesome. It’s more like two friends working together in a very professional manner.

Nainika: What is your least favourite part in writing process?

Leepi: Editing... I write using my heart and I edit using my brain. I hate using my brain Hahaha...

Nainika: Any specific tips that you would like to give to aspiring authors?

Leepi: Just listen to your heart ... Whenever you sit to write it should be just you and your heart in pure isolation. It’s like your heart would keep dictating a story and you would be writing it down. I know it sounds crazy but this is exactly how I write.

Nainika: What would be your message for our readers?

Leepi: Do what you Love doing... Do things that make you happy... Keep reading my books and do catch up at the World Book Fair, Delhi from 13th to 22nd Feb’15.  I would Love to meet as many readers as possible. Cheers!! God bless you...

 (This interview was taken by Nainika Gautam under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous interview!!.... You rock Leepi and your book will too!!... All the best!!... :-)

    ReplyDelete