Wednesday 7 January 2015

Interview with Gargi Sarkhel Bagchi - By Nainika Gautam

Gargi Sarkhel Bagchi is 29 years of age and hails from Pune, Maharashtra. A university topper in the field of Germanic Studies, she was one of six in the world to receive a fully funded DAAD-scholarship to complete her second Master’s degree from the prestigious Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany. A German language expert and educator for over 11 years, she has been actively pursuing her passion for writing since November 2013 and has contributed her writings towards 6 national and 9 international publications so far. Though she’s currently engaged as a German tutor with Deutsch Uni Online, Munich; she enjoys freelancing as an editor in her free time. 

Buy her book here: Flipkart (and don't forget to drop your reviews)

Here we get to know her a little more closely:


Tell us something about yourself. 

Hi, my name is Gargi Sarkhel Bagchi. I am 29 years of age and hail from Pune, India. A German language expert and educator for over 11 years, I have been actively pursuing my passion for writing since November 2013 and have contributed my writings towards 6 national and 9 international publications so far. Though I’m currently engaged full time as a German tutor with Deutsch Uni Online, Munich; I enjoy freelancing as an editor in my free time. 


Talking about personal attributes, I am a highly independent, hardworking, sincere and sociable woman; blessed with a good balance of IQ and EQ. 

Living a life with so many achievements, what differences do you feel in your life and the life that others live? 

Having so many people in my life to look up to, I honestly don’t believe I have achieved too much; there is still a long way for me to go. I feel everyone is an achiever in their own way and try to learn by observing others. 


Being an educator or being a writer, what do you enjoy the most? 


They are both like two loves that came in different stages of my life. After over ten years of falling in love with teaching, I still can’t live without it. I hope I’ll feel the same way about writing in ten years’ time. 


Passion or Profession, what would you chose if asked to make a choice and why? 


I am one of the lucky few who don’t need to choose between the two as my profession is my first passion and I’m on the way to converting my second passion into a profession. 


You have spent some time in Germany. Do you feel that living in Germany has made any changes to your growth? 

Definitely. Having studied in an international environment at the Ludwig Maximilian University in a multicultural city like Munich opened my eyes to the world, its varied cultures and people. Living alone and independent in a foreign country helped me realize that I can survive on my own anywhere in the world. That, in my humble opinion, is a beautiful feeling to accomplish. 


Tell us something about your story in Notebook of Romance. 

My story titled ‘Love in the Air’ is a true-to-life story about the effects of monotonous, everyday life on the romance and passion between a couple that has been together for 15 years. 

Who are the lead characters of your story? 


The lead characters of my story are a married couple called ‘Isha’ and ‘Akash’. 


So according to you, does love actually stay as it is forever or does it fade out? 


I believe love can definitely stay forever, but it evolves with time. People change with the passage of time and so do relationships and emotions. Romance and passion are often misconstrued as being ‘love’. So when they start fading out, people believe they are falling out of love. But true love doesn’t fade out. It evolves into unconditional concern, affection, trust, acceptance and an indispensable co-dependence. 


Being an editor of the book, which story did you like the most? 


I honestly liked them all because they each struck a chord in their own way. However, if I have to choose one, it will be Shraddha Sahi’s ‘Letters from Ladakh’. I found the concept and delivery of the narration refreshing and exceptional. I also enjoyed reading Enakshi Johri’s ‘The Red Fountain’ which has beautiful use of language and Shruti Narayanan Gondhalekar’s ‘A Leap of Faith’ for its poignancy. 


Do you feel that if you are an editor of the book, somewhere the expectation of readers from you and your story also rise higher? 

Maybe. But I always give my best to any story I pen, whether or not I’m editor of the book. I feel I owe it to the readers who are taking ten precious minutes out of their hectic schedules to peruse what I’ve written. 

How has your experience with Gargi Publishers been, as an author and as an editor? 


My experience with Gargi Publishers has been superb. They are highly professional and give their 100% commitment to every project they undertake. As an editor, my opinions and I have always been treated with respect and I truly appreciate that. 

What would be your message for our readers? 

I’m grateful to all the readers thanks to whom writers get the encouragement they need, to keep churning out stories with their imagination and creativity. It is nice to take the readers on a journey; smiling, laughing, shedding a tear or two together. I don’t wish to get glorious reviews for my work. I just wish my stories make a difference to someone’s day, by simply letting them connect to my characters and their lives. 

 (This interview was taken by Nainika Gautam under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)

No comments:

Post a Comment