Thursday 24 July 2014

Interview with Tanya Shrivastava - By Smita Salins

Tanya is a very versatile character who believes in enjoying the existence of every minute element of this universe. She is a very simple girl with her thoughts and bases intact. Apart from scholastic activities and co-curricular events, Tanya loves rendering services to NGOs. A philanthropist by nature, she is too much into social work and has even conceived a dream of establishing an NGO of her own. 

A very social and amicable person, she is someone with whom people feel placid and happy.

Buy her book here - Homeshop18 (and don't forget to share your reviews)

Let us know more about her:

     1.   What inspired you to write for Crumpled Voices?

Ans. I always wanted to make a difference in the society, with my pen as my armor, and fortunately Crumpled Voices gave me the opportunity to do so. Somehow, right from the time I started understanding this society, I could see the pain and sufferings of this society, very eminently, and I had always wanted to do something for the underprivileged segment. Every time I saw them, I felt that an inch of my soul died. I had been working with several NGOs so that I could heal at least a handful of victims. I never knew that I would be privileged enough to be a part of such a noble cause called Crumpled Voices. I would like to thank Pulkit Gupta, Ila Garg and the entire team of Gargi Publishers for giving me this platform, for actually helping me do something that I had always wanted to.

2.   Tell us a bit about your story and the main character.

Ans. My story is about a girl called Shalini, who, like all other girls, thought that marriage was all about love - a pious bond where two souls mingle to be one. But, she was unaware of the other side of this institution called marriage - the side which is so dark and obnoxious, the side which unfolded in front of her when she actually got married - the side where your own husband has a right to force himself on you just because you are married to him - we call it 'Rape'... 'Marital Rape'...

3.   What do you think about the title of the book?

Ans. The title of the book is quite apt.

We keep on blabbering about the social evils but, what do we really do about them? Somehow, all of us contribute in suppressing them. We intentionally ignore them just because we are so used to the conventions of this so called ‘society’.

No other title could have adorned this anthology the way ‘Crumpled Voices’ has done. This title, actually, give words to all the pains and sufferings that the victims go through. I, personally, can feel the agony inked in the title.

4.   Is your story fictional or drawn from a real life character?

Ans. I’ll not say that my story is entirely a work of fiction. It’s inspired from a true incidence. One of my close friends succumbed to the repeated infliction of the pain that her spouse gave her. I still remember the last conversation with her, which actually left me traumatized. That was the time when I decided that I would write something on this issue. But, the irony is that, by the time this story came into existence, she became a history. This story is a small tribute to my friend. Even if a handful of women could understand their rights, fight for them and could make a difference in their lives, I would consider that my friend’s soul would rest in peace.

5.   How do you think can the current situation of our country be changed, in favor of the safety of women?

Ans. Until and unless the ‘Janta’ snaps out of the stereotyped notion of our society, the situations would not change. We boast about being developed but our thoughts and mindsets, unfortunately, could not develop at the same rate. Somehow, both the genders are equally to be blamed for the plight of the women. The female segment of our society need to raise their voice against the atrocities faced by them. Unless they stand up for themselves, no law, no policies could actually help them out. Our society has always been a male dominant society, if the women need to make their existence noticed, they need to stand out. Also, the male segment of our society should understand that it’s a woman who gives them life and at the same time makes it worth living. If they grow and develop, this would not shake their existence, they need to put a check on their egos which does not allow the women to come at par with them. All that women need is respect, love and acknowledgement of their existence. Is that a lot that they demand for?

6.   Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Ans. Writing is a heritage for me, it's in my genes. It's something that I live for and I am sure it's one of those eminent things that I can die for. There are many other designations and degrees that decorate my profile but somehow none of them could give me the satisfaction and delight which I get when people call me 'An Author'.

7.   What is your favorite genre?

Ans. Love stories are my all-time favourite. You would also find autobiographies and books on social issues, adorning my bookshelf.

8.   Who is your favorite writer?

Ans. Ayn Rand is someone who inspires me. The way she writes, actually, sweeps me off my feet. Khushwant Singh is again someone whom I look forward to for inspiration.

9.   Which is the one book that has influenced your life the most?

Ans. I had been an ardent reader since my teenage and thus I could not even keep a track of number of books that I have read, by far. But, Chetan Bhagat is one writer whose work motivated me to take a leap of faith and it was after his third novel- 2 states, when I dared to think about being an author. So, yes, he will always be my first hero and 2 states would be a novel that actually changed my life, drastically.

10.   What was the hardest part of writing this story? Any challenges?

Ans. Being a sensitive person, it was quite difficult to hold back my tears when I was giving words to the atrocities that my friend had gone through. Time and then her memories used to overshadow my thoughts, I used to go numb, and there was a question that constantly haunted me for nights - “What if I had been at her place?” But, then, the same source acted as a motivation too.

11.  Is there a message in your story that you hope your readers will   grasp?

Ans. My story won’t bring back the victimized women but, I just hope that my words would insist some of the real ‘men’ to introspect. I just hope that unlike Shalini (the female protagonist of my story) all those women who have been victimized should stand out, speak out, make noise and initiate a change.

12.  What do you like to do when you are not writing? Hobbies?

Ans. When I am not writing, I read books, I introspect, I gaze the beautiful stars and I listen to music. Books and Music are like drugs to me, they give me solace and they take me to some other world. I like spending time with myself. I am an introvert and a fanatic- a deadly combination and thus I am a bit weird- that’s what people call me.

13.  Are you working on something right now, or just taking a break?

Ans. Professionally, I am pursuing MBA from IMT-Nagpur and if we talk about storytelling, there is a plot going in my head. I hear to voices, I visualize people around- I am planning to write a love story or rather a true love story and the plot would be my alma mater-IMT Nagpur.

14.  Any advice you would like to give to aspiring authors?

Ans. Don’t write because your brain says to do so, write because your heart says so. Make love with words, romance with them and trust me you would discover a new side of yours. Don’t be disheartened if you face rejections, they make you stronger, they improve your skill sets. Try becoming a storyteller so that people could feel your words and not just read them. Dare and dream, that’s your strength.

15.  Any message that you would like to share with your readers?

Ans. Live for love, live for passion, live for others and live for yourself. We have too many things to do, in our hectic life, embroiled in ourselves and caught up in the times. We often miss ourselves, in the hullabaloo, the crowning glory makes us forget and miss ourselves in the enormity of the moment, in the desire to excel, forget the touch of humanity, that which makes us humans. Slow down, ease into a rhythm and never back down. Learn to love, and free yourself, pour yourself into the brew, slowly, stirring and mixing in the cup of life. The devil lies in the details, magnify them and glorify them. You get just one shot at life, make it count.

Thank you so much for your time. It was a privilege interviewing you. :)

(This interview was taken by Smita Salins under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)


No comments:

Post a Comment