Sunday 6 July 2014

Interview with Abhik Chakraborty - By Milan Modi


Currently pursuing Electronics engineering, Abhik has been a frequent contributor to various websites on different topics of self help and current affairs. He has also been columnist for www.fuccha.in

A foodie, he wishes to be a nomad for sometime of his life to travel places and write at least one fiction. Reading lots of books is not his cup of tea, but a good book surely holds his mind controls.



Buy his book here - Homeshop18 (and don't forget to share your reviews)




Let us know more about him.


1) Is there a key person that has inspired you in the process of writing?

Rightly said in my bio, reading lots of books is really not my cup of tea. I am really a slow reader. It takes me ten days to read a two hundred pages book. So, when you ask me if someone inspired me to write, I would not lie if I say that I don’t have any particular author as my inspiration. But yes, I have a slightly good memory about books, such that I remember, what lines are best in a book, which scene is best described where, and others. I follow a writing style of my own, and sometimes, when I am in a fix about a particular scene, a particular character, about the throw of a particular dialog, then I go back for references to those books. This tells me where I am wrong. This helps me improve.

2) Describe the role books played in your own life?

As a Bengali, I have always been exposed to lot of books. But as I said before, I use all types of books for my improvement. This doesn’t include just novels. It may include English grammar book too! It depends on what topic I am writing. Like Dan Brown books are bible for people who want to write books on conspiracy theory. John Green is a pristine author when it comes to writing nostalgia. Nicholas Sparks explains romance extremely well. As an author, who is not established yet, I don’t read them as a fan. I read them as I want to learn something from it.

3) What you like more fiction or non-fiction and Why?

Fiction is awesome. But that should be realistic. Like, the protagonist shouldn’t be master of all trades. And antagonists shouldn’t be tough competitions to tyrannies. People connect with reality. It’s a novel and not a prime time TV serial. With all those little imperfections, and struggles, fiction feels just like a world around me; I connect with it better and quite easily.

4) Any message which you will like to give to the readers via your story?

The kind of story I wrote has no direct message. It’s a kind of satire. I want the readers to go through it, feel the message as it slowly comes out from in between the words. I believe that showing people the pain and suffering of a victim is a better way of conveying the desired message than telling them directly.

5) Any specific tips you have for new Authors who want to make it in the publishing Industry?

A sad truth about this industry is that there is a serious lack of opportunities for new people. But once you make up a name, publishers put money into anything you write. I shouldn’t name the books, but the reviews clearly show the bashings these authors receive. I am a chicken out of the egg for now. I may be cute but still an infant. So the only thing I want to say is – don’t copy. Be unique. And since you are a writer – write like a writer and not like anyone penning a personal diary. Beautify your writing in a way that it hides a gem between the words.

6) There are so many Anthologies around. Why to go for “CRUMPLED VOICES”?

Crumpled Voices is a brew of well-judged voices, which tell everyone about how rotten our society is. Most of the anthologies deal with Love, friendship, crush, life, and everything that is bound to be adjudged into something positive. People tell their own experiences about life, their take on crush and friendship, or the thoughts about how good or bad love is. But what about people who are suffering? Even they have stories. So this is an anthology, which is not related to ‘I’, or ‘my’ story. It has stories of people about whom we although read, but never experience. This anthology will make people connect with those people and would try to plant a seed in their heart, so that, they don’t just criticize, but also stand up against it. 

7) What genre do you particularly like?

Well, personally I would prefer murder mysteries and romantic tragedy.

8) What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?

Well, studying! I don’t get time to do anything else mostly. I have college from 9:30 in the morning till 7 in the evening, and anything else that is left is used either in studying, a little TV viewing, eating, and sleeping. I mostly keep myself up till 2 am to meet the need of my college as well as hobby. But during weekends, I read books, write, and listen to songs, and earlier, when I was not into writing, I had a craze for singing too.

9) What’s your take for the so many Rape cases pending and other social issues?

This is so expected from a country like India where implementation of rules go through several levels of power play. With relatives fat with power, the young lads run free to do anything. And with that tag of culture, politicians stamp girls as someone who asked for it. And we, devoid of power, and afraid of getting trampled by police, stay mum and curse within ourselves. So things have to change. And the day is not far with youngsters raising their voices. Everyone should make a united stand. Film stars should do their bit to promote this cause and not themselves. Campaigns should be launched on a large scale, with big names, performing for free and using these funds to setup a private system, consisting of retired individuals of elite class. Even constitution of India should have an amendment of not allowing anyone to contest who has even a single criminal offence against them.

10) How is the experience with Gargi publishers till now?

It came out from nowhere. One day I received an email from Gargi, telling me about this CRUMPLED VOICES anthology. I sent them a story which I wrote in 2013, as a writing drill during my semester examinations, just to refresh myself. And one day, Pulkit tagged me in one of his Facebook statuses, telling that my story made him cry. I was literally taken aback and was enthralled. Since then, the bonding with Gargi has increased manifold times. They are very professional, but on a personal level, they are quite a fun too. All the authors of Crumpled Voices share some amazing chemistry and we troll our editor Ila, and Pulkit on a daily basis. But also adding to it, we have great discussions about current scenarios of Indian systems, the loopholes, the rectifications and it’s quite amazing to hear different viewpoints on a particular topic. I am thankful to Gargi Publishers for providing me my first chance to see my name printed over 70 GSM paper!

11) How does it feel being an author?

Being an author is different than being a published author. As a published author, there is a great confidence which suddenly develops in your hands. You get sure about yourself. You feel that your writing is worth reading. And then starts that amazing stint of creating the characters of your choice, adding customized emotions and demeanour to them, and placing them to your favourite locations, created either with your imagination or with your experience. But along with this amazing power of creation comes many responsibilities. We should be aware not hurt anyone. Our language should be readable and connectable. And, suddenly, we should get more reserved about our personal life and more open about the writer in us.

12) What is your least favourite part of the writing process?

The wait period and the rejection. I have gone through many rejections in the past, firstly because I was new, secondly because my novel was too long, and thirdly I was asked for money. These things hurt badly because after all the pain you take, in creating a story, which is even liked by the publishers; you end up knowing that it’s the talent that suffers and money that wins. For two years I have been with my book, till recently, when I finally signed my contract with a traditional publishing house. I don’t really know if I would have continued with writing, had my novel been not selected.

THANKS ABHIK FOR SPARING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME. I WISH YOUR BOOK GOES TO THE “BEST SELLER” LIST SOON. :)

(This interview was taken by Milan Modi under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)

No comments:

Post a Comment