Thursday 10 July 2014

Interview with Prachi Priyanka - By Milan Modi

Dr. Prachi Priyanka is the Creative Head at Morsels & Juices. She holds a doctorate degree in English literature and conducts creative writing workshops for young learners. She enjoys weaving articles on various topics – ranging from art criticism to book reviews and relationships to recipes. Prachi is a contributing author in five short story anthologies: Crumpled Voices, Mighty Thoughts, The Zest of Inklings, Still Something is Missing and You, Me n Zindagi 2

Buy her book here - Homeshop18 (and don't forget to share your reviews)

Let us know more about her:

1) Is there a key person that has inspired you in the process of writing?

Yes, my mother. She writes in Hindi and has several novels and a poetry collection to her credit. She would take out time to instill in me a love for reading and help me to improve my writing skills. She emphasized on the importance of channelizing your energy in right direction and I think that was how I turned towards creative arts – trying my hand at painting and poetry. The need to express myself taking prominence!


2) Describe the role books played in your own life?

Books play a BIG role in my life. They inspire me, influence my thoughts and inculcate in me virtues that have stayed with me. They have enabled me to score good grades at school, encouraged me to write poetry in college years, and enriched my learning experience when I was pursuing my doctorate.  Novels help me fill my idle time and reading motivational books purge me from all sorts of negativity.

3) What you like more fiction or non-fiction and Why?

Fiction. They are the flight stimulators of human life. Engrossing, entertaining and enlightening.
I do read non-fiction too – especially books on art and literature.

                   4) Any message which you will like to give to the readers via your story?

Stories are a great medium through which we can understand the lives of other people and evaluate our own choices, thoughts and relationships in the process of reading. My story, ‘The Paradise’ is about a couple who are deeply in love and still there is something that is missing in their relationship. It is for the readers to decode the message embedded in the story and find out why the relationship of Ashish and Apsara fails to work as desired.


     5) Any specific tips you have for new Authors who want to make it in the publishing Industry?

                 a.       Brush up your grammar. There is nothing that turns down a publisher/ reader as much as unnecessary punctuations, wrong spellings and dwindling sentences.  

                  b.      Don’t write because everyone out there is busy writing! Write because you have something to say.

      6) There are so many Anthologies around. Why to go for “CRUMPLED VOICES”?

Crumpled Voices is different from other anthologies which mostly deal with teenage love, erotica or thrillers. Literature is a social mirror and Crumpled Voices takes a significant step in the world of responsible writing and brings into light several social issues that need our attention. It is such a satisfying feeling for a writer to connect with a cause through his/her writing that I knew I had to send my story for the contest. I am glad I am part of the team and look forward to bring a difference in society through my work.

7) What genre do you particularly like?

Short stories! There was a time when I could afford to spend an entire day reading novels – but with changing priorities of work and home – books took a back seat, sometimes taking me months to finish one good novel. It was then that I started reading short stories – squeezing out time from the daily chores to go back to the world where I feel I truly belong.

8) What are some things you like to do when you’re not writing?

A whole lot of things! I love to spend my time reading books, exploring art or trying a new recipe. I like to visit art exhibitions and watch movies. I like to spend time with my friends, family and on Facebook!

9) What’s your take on so many marriages failing these days and the increase in number of suicides?

One of the reasons is what I have explored in my story which as I told – is about a married couple where one of the partners is driven to suicide.

We cannot talk on generalized terms but yes, I think marriages mostly fail when we expect more and give less to the relationship. When mutual respect is missing and compatibility level is low. I believe that love, sex and understanding are the three pillars on which any marriage thrives. With any one of them failing to function properly; it disturbs the equilibrium and eventually weakens the relationship between a couple – sometimes resulting in  a partner seeking freedom through divorce or a suicide attempt.
I feel that high stress levels at work and home is one big reason why there is a marked increase in broken marriages and suicides.

10) How is the experience with Gargi publishers till now?

It was been a fabulous experience to work with the Gargi publishers team. Thanks to Pulkit Gupta, Ila Garg and the whole team of contributing authors – it turned out to be an illuminative journey throughout. Made some good friends too! Would look forward to working with them again.

11) How does it feel being an author?

As of now – Exciting!!!

12) What is your least favourite part of the writing process?

When I get stuck in the process of writing – and it happens so often with me! L There is one moment when the whole story is neatly written in my mind – and in the next - I sit frustrated - glaring at the laptop as the words stubbornly refuse to come out – thoughts disappearing in a flash – before I am able to hold them. And then I sit for a long time, lamenting at what wonderful words were lost in a moment of carelessness!

THANKS  FOR SPARING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME. I WISH YOUR BOOK GOES TO THE “BEST SELLER” LIST SOON. :)

(This interview was taken by Milan Modi under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)

1 comment:

  1. Love the interview. Short, sweet, and yet still informative. Prachi is creative and talented, and looks to see the good in those around her. As the Creative Head of Morsels & Juices, Prachi has done an excellent job in entertaining subjects from other Host who stimulates the minds and hearts of the readers allowing them to dig deep to find the connection it has on all our lives. Warm, motivating and definitely one who listens to the voices of those around her. Jeanne Claire Probst

    ReplyDelete