Thursday 24 July 2014

Interview with Durgesh Shastri - By Akash Khonde


Durgesh Shastri is currently working as an Assistant Professor in GND Engineering College, Bidar. He completed his Engineering from PESIT, Bangalore. Later he joined RVCE, Bangalore, and completed his masters in Computer Networks Engineering. He runs a NGO which is aimed at providing computer awareness in rural areas. A number of his short stories and poems are published online and have received critical acclaim from some of the finest writers of the country. Watching current affairs programs and reading books are his favorite pastime. His debut novel, which is a thriller, is expected to hit the stores next year. 

Buy his book here: Homeshop18 (and don't forget to drop your reviews)

Here we get to know him a little more closely:



1] An unforgettable compliment or critic you received till date? 

There are many compliments available online and each one is special. There have been criticisms also. Well, I don’t take a compliment too seriously because that would lead to arrogance. And criticism always helps you to improve. It’s like an internal assessment which shouldn’t be made public. :) 

2] How well the books can influence one’s persuasion of things? In which way do you think you have directed them?


I would like to keep my readers guessing and then provide them with a memorable experience of reading the book. I would love the readers to think in the right direction when they read my stories and then ponder in the end was it the right direction?

3] Would you like to give any advice for upcoming writers/authors and our readers, in choosing their publishers and preparing their manuscripts?

A small suggestion is that every writer should listen to his heart and pen down a story rather than getting influenced by the market and penning down stuff which doesn’t excite him/her. Even though love stories are hot selling in the Indian market, I haven’t been able to key in a Romantic Novel till now.

There are several publishers in the market. Go by your instincts, would be my only suggestion. Sometimes, even the best can make you regret your decision of opting them.

4] Are you a voracious reader? What kind of books do you like to read? Any particular writers who inspired your writing?

Initially, I read only bestsellers like Chetan Bhagat, Sidney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer, Paolo Coelho, etc... Nowadays I read any book and try to assimilate the things which help my writing. All the writers mentioned above have influenced me in one way or the other.

When it comes to spiritual books, I read Sadhguru Shri Jaggi Vasudevji’s books which are witty and thought provoking with their in depth understanding of life.

I am also impressed by Piyush Jha and Ravi Subramanian for the Indian feel they bring to their thrillers and their style of writing.

5] From Engineer to Author, Passion versus Profession. How difficult was the fight?

A lot of my engineering experiences have produced some of my wonderful stories. The passion and profession both complement each other perfectly and are in immense harmony.

6] Many young people land up in engineering solely because of parental pressure. Do you have any advice for the parents?

The parents must watch “3 Idiots” before pressurising their kids. :)

7] What can the fans of Durgesh expect from you in the future?

I am comfortable to use the term ‘readers’ rather than ‘fans’. My readers can expect a Thriller in the coming days. It’s my most ambitious project till date. A lot of research has been done for that and I’ve unearthed lot of interesting things about Bidar during the process. I am sure the readers would find it exciting.

8] Tell us Something about your story in Crumpled Voices?

The story titled “The indecent Profession” deals with the social issue of infringement of private lives of the citizens in present day India. It’s a bold topic and the story took its own course once I began penning it. I am sure everyone will identify with the theme and feel for the ‘victim’ in the story.

9] What else you love to do, Apart from writing & reading?

I like teaching and that’s my profession. I also run an NGO (Astitva Welfare Society) which spreads computer and social awareness in rural areas in North Karnataka. We also organize competitions and donate free stationary and drawing kits to rural students. The society organized 10 camps in the past 18 months since its inception. Recently we visited a blind school and spent a lovely time with the motivated students.

10] What do you think about the present scenario of publishing industry? What was your experience with your publishers?

The present day authors have a lot options before them due to a blooming writing industry. Several new publishing houses are producing quality work. I had a rewarding experience working with Gargi Publishers. The young and enthusiastic team didn’t give me a chance to complain.

11] Would you like to give any message to your readers?

I would like to tell my readers to inculcate the habit of reviewing books once they read them. I rarely reviewed any books in my earlier days and now I realise how my review could have mattered to an author and the book buffs alike.

THANKS DURGESH FOR SPARING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME. I WISH YOUR BOOK GOES TO THE “BEST SELLER” LIST SOON. :)

(This interview was taken by Akash Khonde under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)


No comments:

Post a Comment