Tuesday 8 July 2014

Interview with Shrruti Patole Clarence - By Anshuma Sharma

 


She is an English Literature Graduate from the University of Pune. Her latest Novella, ‘A Tulip in the Desert’ – A Historic fiction; and a short story titled ‘The Empty Chair’ – part of an Anthology ‘Secrets of Soul’ are slated to be published this year. 

She marks her debut with the story 'Light' in Crumpled Voices.



Buy her book here - Homeshop18 (and don't forget to share your reviews)



Let us know more about her:



Tell us a little about yourself and your background?

Im known to be a warm and social person, who loves interacting with people, probably since I come from the Aviation Customer Service background, where I spent 10 years as a Manager! Apart from reading and writing, I take keen interest in, and follow sports like Cricket and football; and I am usually hooked onto my earphones listening to Radio in my free time!

Currently on a sabbatical from Aviation career, Im dedicating my time to my two sons aged five and five months respectively along with pursuing my most cherished dream of becoming a Published Author!

What are your views on social media for marketing?

In this century where inter-personal interaction have transitioned away from get-togethers at the usual aaddas and occasional phone calls - to only pokes and likes or Whatsapp messages, I think its a gr8 and the best tool for marketing as it gives a wider reach and larger target audience.

Which social network worked best for you?

Facebook, Whatsapp and Linkedin.

What do you think of trailers for books?

Its a great way to get the audience attention and interest and as a reader, a quick insight into the contents of the book.

Is there a message in your story that you want readers to grasp?

Indeed! My story LIGHT highlights key issues viz. The issue of Safety of Women and children, illiteracy and child labor.

How much of the story is realistic?

The story is inspired from real people and incidences around me. The above issues can be found in abundance around us and Light is an attempt to bring out the trauma behind these issues.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

The story has a few real life characters (names changed) and real incidents wrapped in an envelope of fictional events wherever necessary.

What books have most influenced your life?

A bibliophile since the age of 11, I have loved to draw inspiration from all that I read. However I have been drawn to Romance, Mystery, Historic fiction and religious literature.
  
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Jane Austen. She has had the flair of bringing out romance in a subtle manner alongside showing the social apathy of women. Her writing had the ability to strum and touch the heart, all at once! And this somewhere inspired me to write for Crumpled Voices.

What connects you with Crumpled Voices?

In the current league of Anthologies, Crumpled Voices has surely carved a niche for itself. The book is a perfect amalgamation of 20 soul touching stories or perhaps real incidences of sensitive issues that we hear and see all around us. It always pained my heart on seeing women and children go through physical atrocities and Crumpled Voices came as a channel for me to pour my heart out on these issues. 

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

I enjoyed reading Ravinder Singh, Manjiri Prabhu (Cavansite Conspiracy), Harsh Agarwal (Nazaqat) and all time favorite Chetan Bhagat.
  
What are your current projects?

My story A Tulip in the Desert, a historic fiction part of a double header Novella is currently in the editing phase slated for release this year apart from my story The Empty Chair a Romance fiction featuring in an Anthology, Secrets of Soul and a Poem, Fate was in an Anthology, Zest of Inklings are all lined up for publications.

Do you see writing as a career?

For me, writing is my passion, a channel for pouring my thoughts and feelings and if you can make a career out of your passion/interest then you are surely going to be the most satisfied professional!

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your story?
No not at all! This story has come straight from the heart.

Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
Well, it was a gradual journey from a reader to an amateur writer, starting with composing poems at a very early age. The interest ought to have originated from the works of all the amazing authors who inspired me!

Who are your favorite authors and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I enjoyed reading works of Jane Austen, Jeffery Archer and Barbara Taylor Bradford. Each was a master in their respective genres, while Jeffery Archer held my interest through mystery; Jane Austen took me into a journey all over England, and I subconsciously drew my inspiration of writing about romance; women issues and their social status from the writings of both Jane Austen and Barbara Taylor.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Though I am just moving with baby steps in this literary world, all I can say is Pursue your dreams with perseverance!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
I have been a reader all my life and still am, and feel that the best gift you can give your author is constructive feedback or reviews.
Do assist me in making your reading experience enthralling in the years to come.


THANKS SHRRUTI FOR SPARING YOUR PRECIOUS TIME. I WISH YOUR BOOK GOES TO THE “BEST SELLER” LIST SOON. :)

(This interview was taken by Anshuma Sharma under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)

1 comment:

  1. Shrruti is the name in the blogging,a name of interest,guideline and success. Nice to read that you met this great blogger personally. It will be great inspiration,both for you and other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete