Sunday 23 August 2015

INTERVIEW WITH SUNANDA BHADRA- BY NAINIKA GAUTAM

Sunanda lives with her parents in Kalyani, West Bengal. Life for her has been a roller-coaster ride but ‘hope’ her guiding lamp which kept her moving forward. She has done masters in English Literature from Kalyani University and writing short stories and poems is her passion. At present, she is working in Educomp Solutions Limited.

She dreams to be a good writer in the near future.

She can be contacted at:


To read her story, order your copy here: Amazon/Flipkart

Here we get to know her a bit more:

Nainika:Hi Sunanda, please tell us something about yourself.

Sunanda: I hail from Kalyani a small town in West Bengal. I am a post-graduate in English Literature. I am a very simple and down to earth girl who aspires to be a good writer some day. I started writing poem since I was in Standard-VIII and short stories much later in life. I wrote my first short story when I was doing my masters. I am an optimistic person and take life as it comes to me.

At present I am working in an educational software company as a resource person.


Nainika: Sunanda, as your bio mentions, you aspire to be a good writer, what actually good writer means according to you?

Sunanda: For me a good writer means the day when my readers will be able to connect with my work and appreciate it .And the day when I will be able to bring a positive change in our society through my writings.


Nainika: Sunanda, what do you think is the strongest part of your writing?

Sunanda: The strongest part in my writing is that how a serious issue is portrayed in a simple way. It is like a bitter medicine coated with sweets. 


Nainika: How did your interest towards literature developed?

Sunanda: My interest in literature came gradually from my school days. I have always been an avid reader and was fascinated by the works of William Shakespeare, William Wordsworth, Robert Browning and T.S Eliot. And the most of the credit goes to my professor and HOD of the English Department in my college who always encouraged me to write or read something or the other. She was the one who made me believe that I had my originality and I could write.


Nainika: When there are so many anthologies hitting the market, how different is Crumpled Voices—2 as compared to them?

Sunanda: Crumpled Voices-2 is really a different and special anthology compared to the other anthologies which are hitting the market. For me Crumpled Voices-2 is more like a campaign against child abuses in our society than an anthology. It is a wonderful book where 17 stories by 17 authors unmask the various social evils.


Nainika: Please throw some light on the story, “A cry- Help Me” in the book “Crumpled Voices-2”.

Sunanda: My story “ A cry – Help Me!” is a monologue of the main protagonist Lolita Mondal who is a victim of child marriage and child trafficking and how her life is shattered , an ordeal of the pains and the pangs she goes through in her life at a young age which in common in North 24 Parganas , West Bengal. Here thousands of girls go missing every year in the name of marriage and employment.


Nainika: Who all are the lead characters of your story and who is your favorite one?

Sunanda: The lead and favourite character of my story is Lolita Mondal.


Nainika: How do you think that this book can bring about a change in society?

Sunanda: I am hopeful that the book can bring the change in our society since the writers are from the various parts of India so it captures the different child abuses practiced in various parts of India though some are universal. Here, each story is very different from the other.


Nainika: What do you expect from this book?

Sunanda: My expectation from the book is that it should be an eye-opener for the readers. And it should reach out to a maximum number of people.


Nainika: What would be your message for our dear readers?

Sunanda: Please read the book and also ask people who you know to read it. All the stories and poems are very well weaved.

(This interview was taken by Nainika Gautam under the internship program by Gargi Publishers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment