Wednesday 26 August 2015

Interview with Pramit Sarkar- By Nainika Gautam

An alumnus of IIT Bhubaneswar, Pramit has previously served a Navaratna company before following his passion for story-telling. Besides being an ardent follower of cricket, he takes just as much interest in cooking as he does in case of books. His debut novel, ‘The Last Surge’ has recently hit the stands.
Presently, he covers wedding stories as a freelance writer, along with the preparations for his next novel. 

He can be contacted at:


Website: thebabblingraconteur.wordpress.com



To read his story, order your copy here: Flipkart/Amazon

Here we get to know him more closely:

Nainika: Hi Pramit, so tell me something about yourself.

Pramit: Hailing from a middle class family, it has always been academics, wherein I was to focus. But things changed, once I landed in college. Just about managing to maintain the grades, I was involved in various extra-curricular activities. And that’s when I realized that it’s not engineering, rather writing wherein I should pursue a career. However, owing to various issues I had to join a job post-college, only to leave it in seven months time to pen down my debut novel. 


Nainika: So cricket, cooking or writing? What would be your first choice?

Pramit: Cricket for me is more than a game. If you ask me, it’s a way of life. On the other hand, being a Bengali, there is a natural inclination towards food and cooking. But writing, would anyway, surpass them all. 


Nainika: How is the feeling coming up with yet another book in such a short span of time?

Pramit: As the saying goes, the more the merrier. But I must admit that I was lucky to find an opportunity so quickly, post the release of my debut novel. And now that it has been launched, I find it as an added channel to showcase my skills as well as to add to the tally of my readers.


Nainika: What is the part of publishing you love and hate most?

Pramit: For me, the most ‘difficult’ part was the editing phase. There were times, when I had to be ruthless and delete a number of paragraphs; paragraphs, which I had written with lots of love. And then rephrase the joining portions, while maintaining the fluidity. That was quite a challenge. As for the best part, it was when my book made it to the stands.


Nainika: How different is life as a writer?

Pramit: In one word… satisfying. My first job had an excruciating schedule, and even after all the toiling I was neither happy nor rich. But writing gifted me happiness, as well as a purpose. 


Nainika: Tell us something about your story, “Pang of History” in Crumpled Voices-2.

Pramit: It’s the story of a young boy, Oshmit, who struggles to match the expectations of his mother. Oshmit is a bright student, but his mother keeps comparing him with his cousins and their achievements. It’s a very common plot. And through this story, I’ve attempted to showcase how the pressures of unfair expectations affect children, as well as how badly it can scar their psyche when they fail to meet those expectations.


Nainika: Who all are the lead characters of your story?

Pramit: The story revolves around Oshmit and his mother.


Nainika: Are the characters of your story inspired from real life?

Pramit: As I previously mentioned, it’s a common plot. So yes, one may say that the burden of expectations on Oshmit is inspired from the society. Then again, the repercussions are purely fictional.


Nainika: How was experience with Gargi Publishers?

Pramit: It has been an amazing experience. Right from day one, things have gone very smoothly. Full marks to Pulkit and team Gargi.


Nainika: What would be your message for our dear readers?

Pramit: Yes, academics are important but please don’t pressurize your kids to excel in everything. Let them choose their path, and support them in their endeavors. After all, it’s their smile that is going to make you happy, and not their marks. 
(This interview was taken by Nainika Gautam under the internship program by Gargi Publishers)

No comments:

Post a Comment