Tuesday 12 May 2015

INTERVIEW WITH SUPRIYA RAJU PARULEKAR- BY NAINIKA GAUTAM


Supriya is a published author with four books to her credit and has written stories, a screenplay and dialogues for two movie projects which are under consideration. She has also worked as a script editor for TV18 and History Channel. She was a columnist for ‘YUVA’, a magazine for the youth. Her passion includes reading, writing and travelling to new places in search of inspirations. 
Supriya’s debut novel ‘A Soulful of Lie,’ a supernatural thriller, was very much appreciated by late Gautam Rajadhyaksha, a well-renowned celebrity photographer. He had then said, “The characters sketched in her book came alive when he read it.” 
‘Dreamcatcher’ is another masterpiece by Supriya which is romantic book and it sold 1000 copies in just one month since it hit the stores Also, it was 100% sold out on flipkart in a couple of days since its launch. The third, ‘The Gangster’s Muse’ is a thriller and is available online and in stores.
Recently, ‘BFF: Best Friends Forever’ was released and it did quite well in Teen fiction category.
Next up is ‘Darkness Within’, a dark, psychological thriller with sprinkling of verses setting the mood for the thriller which will hit the stores very soon.
Supriya composes poems too when she is not working on her books or reading. 
You can contact her at:

Hi Supriya, please tell us something about yourself.
I am a home-maker but have juggled various responsibilities. A post-graduate in journalism, I realized my passion for writing after the birth of my daughter. We had our little story-telling sessions and one day, ran out of stories. Then I began making up stories for her. When I look back, I feel there was a writer within me. My father wrote plays and performed too. He was creative and thankfully I have inherited the gene from him. I know he is watching from above and blessing me. ‘One Tequila, 2 Tequilas … is my fifth book and so the story goes on …My first book released in 2009 and now when I look back, I realize, I have come a long way.


What inspired you to take up career in writing?
Writing for me is passion. It is something I have come to love. I haven’t really thought about it as a career. There is this impulse, to tell a story within, that becomes my driving force. A creative satisfaction awaits at the end. More than a career, writing is a therapy. The thought that I am achieving something pushed me harder towards writing. I started observing things and people around me, analyzing situations and shaping them into stories. My wandering mind had finally found something to do and the thoughts took shape of words and ideas. A new idea excites me and my fingers itch to jot them down. I dream, breathe and live my creative world!

How is life after the successful journey of your career till now?
There are still miles to go before I can call myself successful. I believe in pursuing my passion without thinking about the parameters of success. Being successful is important but more than that I want my readers to appreciate my books, my work and that is what inspires me to create more.

What is the most challenging part of your writing skills?
‘Writers block’ can be challenging for any writer. When faced with one, I just stop writing and go for a walk or watch a movie or spend time with my friends. I can feel myself struggling with the plot but the words stay put. So best thing one can do is, let go.

What is the part of publishing that according to you in not so interesting?
Publishing is a process and though lengthy, it’s an essential part of the journey from manuscript to crisply printed book. What can be tiring at times is, the wait, before your manuscript is accepted by a publisher. It can cause jittery nerves and anxiety.

How important is reading to a writer?
Reading opens up doors to unseen world. My mind remains occupied with the plot and the characters in the book. For a writer it is advisable to read up various genres and writers. It helps to keep abreast with new style, sharpening vocabulary, new-age writings and inspiration for a new book.

Tell us something about your book, “One Tequila, 2 Tequilas …”
OTTT is an exciting and vibrant read. The book talks about Kosha, a beautiful and self-willed girl who wants to live life on her own terms. This girl can go to any lengths to realize her dream. She is brave enough to walk out on her engagement fixed to a person she detests and build a life for herself away from home. She had never envisioned, falling in love with Siddharth, would transform her in to a selfless person and bring her face to face with harsh realities of life. When Kosha is on the verge of losing Siddharth, it’s only her belief in love and her perseverance that make things come around for her.

Please tell us something about the lead characters of your book.
Kosha is strong, self-willed, self-made and independent girl. She expresses her likes and dislikes openly. Though she cares about her loved ones, Kosha is clear about one thing. Ultimate happiness cannot be achieved without hurting people around you. You got to be selfish in life at times, in order to be happy, she believes. Siddharth Sarabhai is an exact opposite. He can go out of his way to make a person happy, especially his cousin brother Harsh who is conniving and evil. Unknowingly, Siddharth decides to sacrifice his love for Harsh. He can go to any length to bring back his brother’s bride.

Who is your favorite character and why?
Kosha is my favorite. I believe she represents the new generation. She is a woman of today, sure and confident. A girl who believes in her dreams and lives life on her own terms. We need more of Kosha’s to make our world bright and cheerful.


Why do think the readers should choose your book?
If you are looking for a fast-paced read, peppy dialogues, vibrant story-line, tipsy moments, little bit of excitement, friendly banter and out of the world romance then you have chosen the right book. ‘One Tequila, 2 Tequilas …’ offers you that and much more.


Define your book in a single word.
Intoxicating.

How is your experience with Gargi Publishers?
It’s a wonderful team of young and talented people functioning under the able guidance of Pulkit Gupta. He is a visionary and committed to his passion. His hard work will take him places. I would say he is a boon to new-age writers.

What message would you like to give to your readers?
Read and keep reading. Find time to scribble words of appreciation for a book and its writer once you have finished reading it. Believe me, it inspires us to create beautiful stories. How boring would be a world without stories and a shop without books!



Order your copy of "ONE TEQUILA, TWO TEQUILAS" by "SUPRIYA RAJU PAULEKAR" today from Amazon"

2 comments:

  1. Impressive interview. Best wishes to both, writer and publisher of this beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete