Tuesday 20 January 2015

INTERVIEW WITH SHRUTI NARAYAN- BY NAINIKA GAUTAM

Shruti Narayanan Gondhalekar grew up in Mumbai and later shifted base to Pune to pursue her Master’s degree in Germanic studies from University of Pune. She currently resides in Germany. A German language teacher by profession, she loves to explore new cities and cultures. Writing is her hobby since childhood. She was one of the winners of an essay writing competition held all over India and Sri Lanka by the German Academic Exchange Service in the year 2010. Her poems were also published in the Annual Magazine of the German Department of University of Pune. She is an avid blogger. Her favorite form of literature is poetry. Besides literature and philosophy, she enjoys movies, music, make-up tutorials on YouTube and good food. The author believes in the interdisciplinary nature of literature and also believes in literature that pushes the readers to see beyond the obvious. 
She can be reached at: 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shruti.narayanan 

Tell us something about yourself? 
I was born and brought up in Mumbai, in a very cosmopolitan society. I finished my graduation there and later shifted to Pune to pursue my Masters in Germanic studies. I was then teaching German language at the University of Pune and pursuing M.Phil. Research. A work opportunity last year brought my husband and me to Germany. 

Living life of achievements, how do you manage things? 
If achievement is defined as having people around who love me unconditionally, as having a beautiful house and as getting to eat delicious food, then yes I have achieved all of this! For me, an achievement would also be to lead a healthy life. I am still getting there... As far as other achievements in life are concerned, well they are nothing but incidental. 

Being a teacher or being a writer, what do you enjoy most? 
Teaching and writing are different and also similar in a lot of ways. Teaching is a selfless profession wherein a teacher has to always think from a student's perspective. In writing, I get to choose the plot, the characters. My ideology can have a strong voice. The one thing similar to both these professions is that one always remains a learner and proudly so! I enjoy both equally. 

How different is life as an author? 
Penning down stories is a very intense experience. One is always surrounded by thoughts of the story and the characters. An author is never really alone while writing, even if it so appears to the outside world. Finally, when the story comes out alive in print...oh how wonderful those pages smell! 

What is the part of writing process that you hate most? 
The number of drafts it takes for the final one. How I wish the first draft was always perfect and the final one! 

Tell us something about your story in “The notebook of romance”. 
My story 'A Leap of Faith' is a tale of a young woman and her experiences in a new life situation. She dares to love but does she dare to fulfil her commitment? The story has my favourite element of melancholy to it. 

How close is your story to your real life? 
Majority of my story is set up in Mumbai and Goa. I have experienced these two cities up and close. So yes, the descriptions of these cities stem out of my experience. The rest is my fictional mind at play. 

How did you come up with the plot? 
The underlying motif of my story is a cause that is very close to my heart and I always wanted to write something centered around it. It was not a totally planned plot. I just went along with the flow of my thoughts. Now as to what this underlying motif exactly is...I want the readers to have lots of fun while exploring it! 

Which character of your story is the one whom you would love to make part of your own life? 
That character would definitely be the protagonist's best friend Advik. It would feel so good to have that one friend, with whom one shares a very special bond. 

Which is the part of your story you enjoyed most? 
This is a tough question. Each and every part of my story is special to me. If I have to choose then yes, I enjoyed writing about the part where Sahana (the protagonist) moves to Goa and her adventures thereafter. I love beaches, nature...that is where the charm of life lies. 

What are features of Gargi Publishers you like the most? 
Gargi publishers is a dream team to work with. They are extremely professional. We were always informed about the progress of the book in all its stages. Gargi publishers take a great effort in marketing the books in an innovative manner. They have given us a great platform and the cherry on the icing is that the book will be released in the New Delhi World Book Fair. 

What would be your message for our readers? 
Follow your instinct after having conscientiously debated with your intellect :)


*Do order your copy of "The Notebook of Romance today from http://www.flipkart.com/notebook-romance-english/p/itme3g5hxwb3fztc *

9 comments:

  1. Another good interview. It's really great to know about fellow writers and their stories. Well done Nainika, well done Shruti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u so much vikrant:)

      Delete
    2. Great Shruti. Spoken from the heart. Proud to know you. Fly high child, achieve your dreams.enjoy nature and just keep writing
      Wish u the very best for a lovely future

      Delete
  2. jayashree aunty thank u so much:) need all ur blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Shruti. Liked ur love towards my state GOA.. Would love to meet u in future. All d best Shruti.. May all ur dreams cm true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Trupti! Yes,I adore Goa for its innocence. It looks upon innocently at the not so innocent antics of this modern world... I am waiting to meet all of you. My love to Vidhi! Cheers- Shruti

      Delete
  4. Awesome one. :)
    Looking forward to read your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks nikita:) sorry for the late reply!

    ReplyDelete