Sunday 30 August 2015

Interview with Ummul Fazal Fatima Khan- By Nainika Gautam

Living in the heart of India, Delhi, Ummul Fazal Fatima Khan is a teacher by profession. She holds a professional degree in education and translation proficiency. She works with young minds and is passionate for teaching.

Fatima is an avaricious admirer of classic and modern literature and dreams to own a huge library in her own house. For her, writing is the best form of expression and a bridge between her heart and mind which she want to pursue for the rest of the years to come. 

She finds solace in nature and her family. She is a fun loving and adventurous person, though traditional and conservative for her culture at the same time. Urdu and English are her languages of command but she has a sound knowledge of Hindi and Arabic too and wishes to add several more languages to the list. She has a deep attraction towards human psychology and loves to observe people’s behaviour, which can be traced in her writings that takes up delicate issues of relationships, social evils and human nature. She is always curious to explore different facets of this world and the humans residing in it. She has a keen interest in indulging herself in cooking in her free time, innovating with tastes. She enjoys collecting rare & unique items, photography and travelling. She is an introvert and a reserved person, who necessarily needs time in solitude and holds multifarious interests.

Several of her works in Urdu have been published, but she has made her debut In English with the book, ‘Drenched Souls’ under the name of Gargi Publications, which features her story named, ‘Love that completes’. Other anthologies in which she has contributed are ‘The notebook of Romance’ and ‘Winged heart’.

She can be reached at:- 


To read her story, order your copy here: Flipkart/Amazon

Here we get to know her more closely


Nainika: Hi Ummul, please tell us something about yourself.

Ummul: I believe improvement to be an integral part of our life and try to apply it to my personality too. However speaking about myself I would say, I am a nature lover, peace seeker and a keep-to-self kind of a person, though quite adventurous at heart. 


Nainika: How did you develop interest towards literature?

Ummul: I don't know exactly, although during the childhood, I remember I used to read hindi comics like Doga, shakti and Dhruv etc and Urdu kids magazines; Payam-e-taleem,Umang, Nooron my father's encouragement. In later years, a teacher of mine from school, introduced me to the magical world of Harry potter, and then there is no turning back. Now I can proudly name a long list of books I have read. 


Nainika: What are features of your writing skills that you feel you need to improve on?

Ummul: As earlier said, I strongly believe in betterment. Sometimes I try to enhance my vocabulary, and at others I work on fresh ways of narration. Either I write or read or if I am doing none, then I observe the world, picking out prospective characters and possible storyline.

But I always crave for an honest feedback and that is entirely upon my readers as to what they consider my weakest point, I am always open to it.


Nainika: Which genre do you enjoy most to write?

Ummul: I am most comfortable at writing realistic stories with a pint of imagination. Unlike the trend, I don't like much of romantic. Comedy, tragedy and thriller are on my wish list, I would give anything to try my hand but right now I feel myself to be an amateur for such genres.


Nainika: Please throw some light on your story “Left to be Estranged” in Crumpled Voices-2.

Ummul: 'Left to be estranged' is a story of a teenager, stepping into adulthood. Like every other child she has her own bucket of problems. It basically points out her reaction towards it and the way she tried to cope up.


Nainika: Who all are the lead characters and which one your favorite?

Ummul: Sidrah is the girl whom we are talking about, Zainab is the loving mother and the narrator is a cousin of Sidrah's who tried to help the girl. As for the favorite, I don't get impressed by the personality as whole. The qualities which stimulated me, were; Sidrah's politeness, Zainab's motherly care and narrator's dedication. 


Nainika: Is your story inspired from real life, or is it a pure imagination?

Ummul: I am a teacher by profession and have a keen interest in observing people; I think the story is the end product of all these things combined. A blend of both; reality and imagination. 


Nainika: How is Crumpled Voices-2 different from other anthologies that are and are going to be in market?

Ummul: Crumpled voices -2 reminds you of the era when pen was used to voice out issues and was an instrument of revolutions. Hope it serves the purpose. 


Nainika: How is experience with Gargi Publishers?

Ummul: If I have to say it in a word, its fantabulous. I got the opportunity to be a part of three projects by Gargi publishers so far, apart from Crumpled Voices 2; Drenched souls and notebook of Romance. The team is quite dedicated, progressive and is committed to goals. 


Nainika: Would you like to give some message to our readers?

Ummul: Readers are always the essence of reading-writing cycle. Whenever I read a book, I feel like informing the author about the parts which captivated me and which could have been omitted. As a writer I also wish to be informed of the same, so waiting for the feedback.

I would like to say that the Crumpled voices -2 isn't just another book on shelf, it’s an initiative, a step ahead to secure the childhood and preserve its innocence &joy. I request to all the parents and guardians out there to keep their children intact; physically, emotionally and psychologically, because the early years of humans either scar the entire life or present a fuller personality.
(This interview was taken by Nainika Gautam under internship program by Gargi Publishers)

No comments:

Post a Comment